18 January 2014

And now, a public service announcement


Don't get me wrong. There's nothing I like better than to see one of my designs in public, and BrightonTwo is one of my most popular typefaces (behind ErbosDraco)

That having been said, one of the most recent public encounters I had with an NBP font was on a teeshirt where it was being used to render a very sexist motto. I'm not going to mention what it was or where I found it because, as I've recently come to find out through Tumblr, there are Jack Thompson-types who will assign blame to anyone they can find. I don't need them demanding a boycott of total FontGeek DTF just because some pseudohuman used one of my fonts on a bad shirt.

Obviously, I can't control how any of my designs are used. That's the nature of "free"--free to download, free to use, free to display. I would ask, though, that you use them responsibly. Don't be that guy. If you're going to be that guy, use Comic Sans.

And now, a disclaimer:
total FontGeek Digital Type Foundry, Ltd. (“TFG”) is not responsible for any messages which are rendered in its designs, beyond the official typeface specimens and design examples made by TFG staff. All fonts made by TFG are free for commercial use and TFG is not, as a general rule, informed about the public display of any of its designs, nor does it have any control over how the design is used. TFG cannot be held responsible for any offence taken by an individual or group over the content of messages rendered in TFG-designed typefaces and will not make any attempt to stifle the creative freedoms of any graphic designer who uses them.
While not explicitly implied in the Creative Commons Attribution ShareAlike (CC BY-SA) 3.0 unported license used by TFG for its designs, the disconnect between foundry and third-party designer is, in our judgement, necessary to encourage free creativity and will not be reconsidered.

No comments: